Sunday, September 12, 2010
Gourmet Sweet Potato
I've never made sweet potatos before and these turned out really yummy! I loved the topping. I actually boiled mine for 25 min. and then mashed them up in a bowl. If you cooking for smaller crowds I used two large potatoes and half the recipe. I doubled the topping recipe because I figure you can never have to much nuts and caramelized brown sugar right? Since I halved the recipe I put it in a 8x8 sized pan. This went great with our pork dinner (see above) I will definitely make this one again.
* 5 sweet potatoes
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup butter
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 tablespoons heavy cream
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.
3. In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4. In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
5. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned