These are a breakfast favorite of ours. They come out super fluffy and perfect every time. The brown sugar gives these a nice rich flavor. I have tried MANY waffle recipes and these are by far the best! If you have leftover waffles they are great thrown in the freezer and can be re heated easily. They taste superb.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat waffle iron. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Blend in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray, or lightly brush with oil. Ladle the batter onto preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.